Windlights - By Athena Mariposa


Hi everyone. Today, I’m going to talk to you about Windlights. As you journey around SecondLife, you’re going to see some amazing creations that someone has taken the time to put together for you. The cool thing about this “game” is that everything in it was user-created. Designers build the stuff, then Sim owners put it together in creative ways. Then the rest of us get to visit and marvel at their creations.

So, you find yourself at a cool locale with an incredible scene in front of you. You’re inspired to snap a picture. Your typical photographer will snap a photograph, pay Linden Labs the $10L and have it in their inventory to share with their friends.

The savvy photographer will take things to a whole other level.

Step 1:  Turn up those graphics! I showed off my graphics settings in my previous photography post 


This is taken at ultra with the region windlight. That’s the windlight that the Sim owner selected to show off their Sim. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s a perfectly delightful scene I’ve captured here.


But if you’ll look at the bottom tool bar in Firestorm, you’ll see this Phoenix at the far-right corner. Click on it and this menu will pop up. See the second slider from the bottom? It’s called WL Sky. That’s how you change the look of the sky in SL. In this case, I’ve selected Verdigris.


Our bright, sunshiny day now looks gloomy and almost sinister. It’s entirely changed the mood of the photograph.

Moreover, I’m not paying Linden Labs to take this picture. I choose to download all of my shots straight to my harddrive. Also, I would usually be moving my camera around and getting all sorts of different angles on the house above. For comparison’s sake, I’m leaving my camera still. Only the windlights are changing.


Is the bright sunshine with a blue sky more your jam? This is the same scene, shot in “Incongruent Truths,” one of my favorite sunshine windlights. Just move that slider until you find it, you’ll love working with it.



This shot was taken with Satomi's 2017 Hot Sunsets. If you’re frantically searching your WL list that came with Firestorm, you’re not going to find it. Don’t panic. A good source for windlights that have been created by others can be found at the StrawberrySingh blog here:  https://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

The sky doesn’t have to be a typical sky color. Sun, clouds, time of day, weather patterns, they all affect how the sky looks in nature. Your sky doesn’t have to make sense if it tickles your fancy. Check out this windlight, called Annan Adored Tanned Skin.


I hope this post has inspired you to play with windlights. Next time, I’ll talk about windlights to use when shooting people. That’s a whole other subject in and of itself. And yes, I definitely have some favorites to recommend.

I’ll leave you with this parting shot of Mystic Timbers in the windlight setting of Places Abracabra. 





Comments

Post a Comment