Are you excited for our upcoming 'Bedtime stories' issue? You should be!
While you are waiting for it, have you taken time to check out thoroughly our current issue?
You really should, but, I must say that there are some things in it that you won't find in it. Putting together an article with multiple contributions is always a balancing act, and the subject was amazingly interesting. And the answers from our contributors were as well.
I wanted everyone involved to feel free to express their passion for the topic without feeling excessively constrained, knowing I could use the blog vehicle to at some point publish their thoughts giving justice to the amount of thought and insight they put in.
Today, here's the contribution from the icon of b&w photography Laura Richards. I am especially grateful to Laura for her work on this issue: not only because she did a typical Laura interview, well thought out and interesting from start to finish, but also because the deadline for the magazine came at probably the worst possible time for her due to computer problems - if you follow the remarkable dance show Debauche she does with her partner Severina, you know exactly what I am talking about. And yet, she overcame the adversity and shot 3 exclusive photos for us, on top of providing more visual aid from iconic Hollywood promo stills and her own portfolio.
Severina in 'Window', one of Laura's favourites, and a must have for this post.
In other words: I had this blog post ready and just waiting to be published. Ladies and gentlemen, Laura Richards, in photos and words.
1 - First of all, I'd like you to tell me about some of your favourite works of art in black and white (RL work). The focus is about the typical 'vintage' feel of black and white mostly movie inspired, but if there's something else dear to you with that sort of vibe (photography, comics, other kinds of visual art) please feel free to mention it.
#B&WinRL
It's so hard to choose any particular work as a favorite. I think it's no secret amongst those who follow me that I absolutely LOVE black and white images. I could go on for hours about why. Let us summarize it by saying it's just better! I was once given a book on erotic art. I skipped most of the color images and stared at the black and whites. They just stood out to me. There is something about black and white that makes erotica more erotic. I think if I were to choose two iconic images that have stayed with me since the first time I saw them, then I will be a cliche.
Firstly, the power of Jane Russell in the infamous Outlaw pose. There is just something so strong, so smolderingly sexy in this image. I have seen it in color also but it loses so much. In black and white, it's powerful.
George Hurrell's iconic publicity photo of Jane Russell from 'The Outlaw'
Another one that really stands out to me is the cliche of Marilyn Monroe and the subway vent. There is just something so good about this image. Its sexy but retains a sense of innocence and fun. A wonderful image that stays with you forever.
Monroe in 'THE' scene from 'The seven year itch'
I know. Nothing original here but it does prove one thing. Things become a cliche because they are GOOD!
2 - Black and white can easily be associated with the glamorous past captured in movies, a star system that is still iconic to this day. Have you ever been inspired by the style of iconic RL figures in your SL ? Which qualities they possess that you admire, and you have perhaps tried to put in your look? Feel also free to mention other SL avis who you'd think would be perfect in a black and white movie and why.
#B&WIcons
There are two beautiful women who have inspired me and continue to do so. I have often attempted to mimic their unique style in my SL presence, without coming close to their beauty, grace and total charisma.
The one that stands out to me, and always will, is the truly beautiful Audrey Hepburn. She had an effortless, natural beauty that just shone out in every appearance. Graceful, elegant, innocent and ....its so hard to describe...she was never overtly sexy, never "available" but she had that something, that spark of...of..something..that made you notice.
She also had an effortless style about her. Simple, elegant and beautiful. Always. Audrey Hepburn has been a hero of mine since childhood and will be until the end of my days.
Laura Richards in her Audrey tribute "Breakfast at Tiffany's" , first seen on Attention.
A very close second to Audrey is the totally sexy, explosively desirable Brigitte Bardot. The original sex kitten - the phrase was coined specifically for Brigitte - she changed the perception of women in cinema. Before Brigitte, they were the passive recipient of male attention. With her exuberant sexuality and striking beauty, Brigitte showed that the woman can be the predator, the woman can have the desires. The trademark bee-stung lips, the sparkling mischief in her eyes.....men wanted her, women wanted to be her....lets be honest, women wanted her too! For me, at the height of her career, nobody came close to Brigitte for straightforward, breathless sexuality.
A blonde Laura (!) in the BB tribute she "Created" for Attention.
There is one person I think would be totally perfect in any black and white movie. She has much the same qualities as Brigitte, only more so. Severina is totally gorgeous and she has that spark, that special indefinable something that makes you breathe quicker, makes you squirm a little, makes you want her. I may be biased in this but she has always had that effect on me. She is also my favorite model and an absolute joy to work with. She is brilliant in color, beyond brilliant in black and white. I consider myself blessed to be able to work with her.
Severina and her perfect movie star look in a pic ful of intrigue "Wrong Number".
3 - Tell me now about one place or more where you imagine your (second) life 'in black and white'. A location that has a particular atmosphere, some place that photographs so well with that technique, anything like that. It can be a specific public sim, a spot in your own home/land, you can tie it to a build or the work of a specific furniture designer.
#B&WLocation
This one is quite difficult for me to answer as the vast majority of my pictures are produced in sets of my own creation. There are some sims that stand out, though I am not sure they are still with us. One in particular was Berlin, 1920s. A beautifully made sim with so much atmosphere
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin%20Project/234/224/1930
Another truly wonderful place with endless opportunities is Mont Saint Michel. Truly a magnificent build with so much detail, so many brilliant places to take really atmospheric pictures and lends itself so perfectly to black and white. I go there often specifically to take pictures and end up spending all day exploring this remarkable sim
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mont%20Saint%20Michel/81/36/21
One of the many stunning monochromes Laura took at Mont St.Michelle. Check the album.
In all honesty, any sim and any location would lend itself to black and white photography. It's a wonderful and atmospheric medium that can be so easily manipulated. It's hard to choose any specifically for that and I think I have probably just selected sims I adore. The trick is to experiment, be creative, try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, well, you learned something. What could be better?
4 - Can you now name some designers/brands that have that sort of timeless charme? If you are particularly fond of a specific element of clothing or type of accessory feel free to cover a single category or more. You can be very specific about just your favourite type of clothing/accessory because the next question will take care of the general look.
#B&WStores
Oh so many are just perfect. I think for lingerie that really captures the elegance and emerging sexuality of the period, nobody does it better than Big Beautiful Doll. Their "retro" lingerie is absolutely brilliant. I use it a lot in period themed images and I have yet to find anyone better. Having said that, Erratic come pretty close but the range of period pieces is much smaller.
"Yesterday Once More" is an example of Laura showcasing Erratic Delice's timeless design
Asteria do a lot of simple, elegant dresses that lend themselves perfectly to that sort of period, like the gorgeous one I wore in the Audrey Hepburn homage. So many designers can be named here. The trick is to shop around, really look. Even the most modern shops may have a buried treasure.
And of course, the Little Black Dress will never age!
5 - Finally, the easiest question I hope. Please show me,with a photo, one of your looks that you believe belong the most to a black and white movie. Talk about what you are wearing: what did you choose and why? If the outfit was not put together for the article specifically but is linked to a particular memory or purpose, feel free to provide any flavour story and context of your liking.
#YourB&WLook
Again, so hard to choose a specific look or a specific image. I will select one of my more recent ones, not specifically created for this article. I have selected this because it has that quality, that air of mystery you only get with black and white images. And it has a style that could be now, could be then, could be any time, but really suits black and white so much better.
"Petit déjeuner" , Laura's pick for an iconic movie star look - and what a fine example!
The look is quite simple. Once again, that stunningly sexy and revealing dress from Asteria, a total favorite of mine. It has such an elegant, close fit, moves well with you when wearing it and is just so very very slinky sexy. Add the essential stockings, this time by Erratic. I find stockings are the absolute staple of erotic photography. There is something very noir and also very French about this image. And, I hope, something very very sexy. In fact, you could say this image combines both Audrey Hepburn and Brigitte Bardot in one.
Of course, the veil is an essential part of both the glamor and the mystery and I also hope it fires something in the imagination of the viewer, encourages them to create their own black and white movie in their mind, taking me into a new adventure, even if that adventure is just taking me....was that naughty? I hope so!
Thank you again to Laura Richards for her perfect contribution to the issue. As you can see, the work she put in the presentation and writing of this piece would have made a terrific article on its own for just about any magazine!
While you are waiting for it, have you taken time to check out thoroughly our current issue?
You really should, but, I must say that there are some things in it that you won't find in it. Putting together an article with multiple contributions is always a balancing act, and the subject was amazingly interesting. And the answers from our contributors were as well.
I wanted everyone involved to feel free to express their passion for the topic without feeling excessively constrained, knowing I could use the blog vehicle to at some point publish their thoughts giving justice to the amount of thought and insight they put in.
Today, here's the contribution from the icon of b&w photography Laura Richards. I am especially grateful to Laura for her work on this issue: not only because she did a typical Laura interview, well thought out and interesting from start to finish, but also because the deadline for the magazine came at probably the worst possible time for her due to computer problems - if you follow the remarkable dance show Debauche she does with her partner Severina, you know exactly what I am talking about. And yet, she overcame the adversity and shot 3 exclusive photos for us, on top of providing more visual aid from iconic Hollywood promo stills and her own portfolio.
Severina in 'Window', one of Laura's favourites, and a must have for this post.
In other words: I had this blog post ready and just waiting to be published. Ladies and gentlemen, Laura Richards, in photos and words.
1 - First of all, I'd like you to tell me about some of your favourite works of art in black and white (RL work). The focus is about the typical 'vintage' feel of black and white mostly movie inspired, but if there's something else dear to you with that sort of vibe (photography, comics, other kinds of visual art) please feel free to mention it.
#B&WinRL
It's so hard to choose any particular work as a favorite. I think it's no secret amongst those who follow me that I absolutely LOVE black and white images. I could go on for hours about why. Let us summarize it by saying it's just better! I was once given a book on erotic art. I skipped most of the color images and stared at the black and whites. They just stood out to me. There is something about black and white that makes erotica more erotic. I think if I were to choose two iconic images that have stayed with me since the first time I saw them, then I will be a cliche.
Firstly, the power of Jane Russell in the infamous Outlaw pose. There is just something so strong, so smolderingly sexy in this image. I have seen it in color also but it loses so much. In black and white, it's powerful.
George Hurrell's iconic publicity photo of Jane Russell from 'The Outlaw'
Another one that really stands out to me is the cliche of Marilyn Monroe and the subway vent. There is just something so good about this image. Its sexy but retains a sense of innocence and fun. A wonderful image that stays with you forever.
Monroe in 'THE' scene from 'The seven year itch'
I know. Nothing original here but it does prove one thing. Things become a cliche because they are GOOD!
2 - Black and white can easily be associated with the glamorous past captured in movies, a star system that is still iconic to this day. Have you ever been inspired by the style of iconic RL figures in your SL ? Which qualities they possess that you admire, and you have perhaps tried to put in your look? Feel also free to mention other SL avis who you'd think would be perfect in a black and white movie and why.
#B&WIcons
There are two beautiful women who have inspired me and continue to do so. I have often attempted to mimic their unique style in my SL presence, without coming close to their beauty, grace and total charisma.
The one that stands out to me, and always will, is the truly beautiful Audrey Hepburn. She had an effortless, natural beauty that just shone out in every appearance. Graceful, elegant, innocent and ....its so hard to describe...she was never overtly sexy, never "available" but she had that something, that spark of...of..something..that made you notice.
She also had an effortless style about her. Simple, elegant and beautiful. Always. Audrey Hepburn has been a hero of mine since childhood and will be until the end of my days.
Laura Richards in her Audrey tribute "Breakfast at Tiffany's" , first seen on Attention.
A very close second to Audrey is the totally sexy, explosively desirable Brigitte Bardot. The original sex kitten - the phrase was coined specifically for Brigitte - she changed the perception of women in cinema. Before Brigitte, they were the passive recipient of male attention. With her exuberant sexuality and striking beauty, Brigitte showed that the woman can be the predator, the woman can have the desires. The trademark bee-stung lips, the sparkling mischief in her eyes.....men wanted her, women wanted to be her....lets be honest, women wanted her too! For me, at the height of her career, nobody came close to Brigitte for straightforward, breathless sexuality.
A blonde Laura (!) in the BB tribute she "Created" for Attention.
There is one person I think would be totally perfect in any black and white movie. She has much the same qualities as Brigitte, only more so. Severina is totally gorgeous and she has that spark, that special indefinable something that makes you breathe quicker, makes you squirm a little, makes you want her. I may be biased in this but she has always had that effect on me. She is also my favorite model and an absolute joy to work with. She is brilliant in color, beyond brilliant in black and white. I consider myself blessed to be able to work with her.
Severina and her perfect movie star look in a pic ful of intrigue "Wrong Number".
3 - Tell me now about one place or more where you imagine your (second) life 'in black and white'. A location that has a particular atmosphere, some place that photographs so well with that technique, anything like that. It can be a specific public sim, a spot in your own home/land, you can tie it to a build or the work of a specific furniture designer.
#B&WLocation
This one is quite difficult for me to answer as the vast majority of my pictures are produced in sets of my own creation. There are some sims that stand out, though I am not sure they are still with us. One in particular was Berlin, 1920s. A beautifully made sim with so much atmosphere
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin%20Project/234/224/1930
Another truly wonderful place with endless opportunities is Mont Saint Michel. Truly a magnificent build with so much detail, so many brilliant places to take really atmospheric pictures and lends itself so perfectly to black and white. I go there often specifically to take pictures and end up spending all day exploring this remarkable sim
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mont%20Saint%20Michel/81/36/21
One of the many stunning monochromes Laura took at Mont St.Michelle. Check the album.
In all honesty, any sim and any location would lend itself to black and white photography. It's a wonderful and atmospheric medium that can be so easily manipulated. It's hard to choose any specifically for that and I think I have probably just selected sims I adore. The trick is to experiment, be creative, try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, well, you learned something. What could be better?
4 - Can you now name some designers/brands that have that sort of timeless charme? If you are particularly fond of a specific element of clothing or type of accessory feel free to cover a single category or more. You can be very specific about just your favourite type of clothing/accessory because the next question will take care of the general look.
#B&WStores
Oh so many are just perfect. I think for lingerie that really captures the elegance and emerging sexuality of the period, nobody does it better than Big Beautiful Doll. Their "retro" lingerie is absolutely brilliant. I use it a lot in period themed images and I have yet to find anyone better. Having said that, Erratic come pretty close but the range of period pieces is much smaller.
"Yesterday Once More" is an example of Laura showcasing Erratic Delice's timeless design
Asteria do a lot of simple, elegant dresses that lend themselves perfectly to that sort of period, like the gorgeous one I wore in the Audrey Hepburn homage. So many designers can be named here. The trick is to shop around, really look. Even the most modern shops may have a buried treasure.
And of course, the Little Black Dress will never age!
5 - Finally, the easiest question I hope. Please show me,with a photo, one of your looks that you believe belong the most to a black and white movie. Talk about what you are wearing: what did you choose and why? If the outfit was not put together for the article specifically but is linked to a particular memory or purpose, feel free to provide any flavour story and context of your liking.
#YourB&WLook
Again, so hard to choose a specific look or a specific image. I will select one of my more recent ones, not specifically created for this article. I have selected this because it has that quality, that air of mystery you only get with black and white images. And it has a style that could be now, could be then, could be any time, but really suits black and white so much better.
"Petit déjeuner" , Laura's pick for an iconic movie star look - and what a fine example!
The look is quite simple. Once again, that stunningly sexy and revealing dress from Asteria, a total favorite of mine. It has such an elegant, close fit, moves well with you when wearing it and is just so very very slinky sexy. Add the essential stockings, this time by Erratic. I find stockings are the absolute staple of erotic photography. There is something very noir and also very French about this image. And, I hope, something very very sexy. In fact, you could say this image combines both Audrey Hepburn and Brigitte Bardot in one.
Of course, the veil is an essential part of both the glamor and the mystery and I also hope it fires something in the imagination of the viewer, encourages them to create their own black and white movie in their mind, taking me into a new adventure, even if that adventure is just taking me....was that naughty? I hope so!
Thank you again to Laura Richards for her perfect contribution to the issue. As you can see, the work she put in the presentation and writing of this piece would have made a terrific article on its own for just about any magazine!









Wonderful article, always interesting to read and in sight to the minds of the really accomplished artists in their field.
ReplyDeleteLaura is one of the very best photographers and artists in Second Life and black and white compliments her thoughts and style..
Thank you for this article
Sєνєяíηα